Total Pageviews

Sunday 19 June 2011

Tis the Season

Hello Urban Women,

You are right! It is wedding season. When I think of weddings I tend to think of towels that are shaped into kissing swans laid out onto a bed full of rose petals, crooked hemlines, last minute eating disorders, and obviously love and romance. While the summer tends to come with a lot of weddings, as an urban woman, I am hoping you will find these occassions stress free whether you are a guest, a family member, the bride, or the guest book attendant (I dont mean to brag but I have been guest book attendant over 7 times). Here are some of my favourite wedding tips!

Decor
As you know, I love tinsel in the off season and believe that weddings are the perfect place to add a little low cost sparkle. You can drape it just about anywhere! I think a little tuft on the back of each seat provides a nice alternate to chair covers.I also think red carpets are a must for any bride-if you don't know where to buy or rent one think about using red spray paint to create the ultimate wedding aisle.

Fashion
Weddings are most often once in a life time events, except for those who tend to get divorced. So, it is important you look and feel your best! Weddings are one of those occasions where a few  rules cannot be avoided without a major fashion emergency!

1. Strappy sandals are a must! Square heeled are my fave. Check out the funky pic-if you have a larger wedding budget I would totally order these high-heeled sneakers in ivory.
2. Splurge on an updo. I seen it when mothers of the bride take this a step further and add a bedazzled hairpiece into their updo along with sparkly hairspray. Mixed medium styles that include braids, curls, comb overs, and rat tails are going to be huge this summer.
3. Wedding capes never go out of style...I am a big fan of crushed velvet or velour.
4. To have that flawless finish for photos I not only suggest leg foundation, but an all over body foundation so your skin looks airbrushed. Sometimes the foundation ends up rubbing onto the dress. Bring a sharpie that is the same colour as your gown so you can colour-in trouble spots.

5. Strapless gowns have always been popular, this is because they are timelessly modest and look great on everyone's body type and shape. If you find that your 'girls' are difficult to manage in a strapless dress go to your local hardware store, pick up some packing tape and create a bra in whatever shape you need! This creates supportive straps that are virtually invisible!

Food
Obviously my own recipes are some of my favourites, and I recommend serving the cocktails posted on the blog. In addition to those you may need something a little more hearty. Keep in mind when choosing a menu there a lot of people out there who have various food preferences and restrictions. I am always sure to include a red meat, a simple carbohydrate and some sort of cream sauce. Here is a main dish recipe that will make any wedding taste good!

Rare Steak Pilaf with Cream Sauce
1. Begin by cooking up a pot of rice (you may need two pots depending on the amount of guests at the wedding)
2. When the rice is nearly ready add in some small pieces of garlic, onion, pepperoni sticks, and salt and pepper
3. Purchase 3-4 salisbury steaks from your local deli section or frozen food market, pan fry for 1 minute/side. Do NOT overcook ladies-this takes away from the rareness of the steak. When people see rare they automatically think gourmet. Don't rob yourself on this one! It is your wedding!
4. Dish rice mixture into bowl, top with a few sticks of salisbury steak

Cream Sauce
-Combine one jar of a thousand island salad dressing with 1 cup of cream cheese and 1/2 cup of cheeze whiz
-Melt sauce in microwave on high until bubbling
-dish a little sauce over each bowl

ENJOY!

Gifts
People are always asking me advice about wedding gifts too...like how much should I spend? Is it ok that it is a regift? Should I just give money? Well, my advice on this one is yes, yes, and yes. As an Urban Woman you want to make sure your gift is totally urban, so I recommend picking something out at Urban Barn or Urban Behaviour. Spending around 25$ and add and additional 5$ depending on how much you like the couple ensures that your gift will be generous and appropriate. If you do decide to give money I would also make sure it is in a foreign currency so the couple thinks you are totally exotic.

Stay safe this wedding season all of you Urban Women!

Until next time,

Urban Woman



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Urban Woman,

Are you the maker of the new fab hit show, My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding? Everything you listed, I swear I'd saw it on the teevee.

Yours in class,
Alana